Wednesday 26 October 2011

Lounging around

While some would argue that we've become more of a lounging culture over time, I disagree.  I mean, what embodies lounging more than the late '60s-'70s?  Girdles gave way to shift dresses which gave way to swing dresses etc. etc. etc.  And if Simplicity magazine is to be believed, by 1967 even the constricting house dress had had its day:


Wait a minute.  Is that Martha Stewart modeling for Indian Head Fabrics?


It is!  Though I'm not surprised, considering who else is in my 1967-1969 Simplicity magazines:


 Ali MacGraw
 Cheryl Tiegs
 And if I'm not mistaken, that's Jodi Foster, isn't it?
(Again, sorry for the crappy photos of photos, but I don't have a scanner)

Where was I?  Oh yeah, lounge wear.  So over at TSW the theme of the week (actually, last week, but who's counting) was sleepwear / lounge wear.  I don't wear PJs, so I thought something in the ultra-sexy caftan department was called for.  Behold the couture challenge that is the caftan:




Bet you're all flustered over the skill required to construct this masterpiece, not to mention the ultimate hotness embodied therein.  I'll try to keep the detail of my construction simple, so as not to overwhelm the beginners amongst us:
I bought this length of blue batik cotton over the summer at Value Village.  Before you get all, "Here she goes again with the blue batik", please note that this one has beige too.  HA!
When I spread it out to examine it for flaws, I had one of those "work with the fabric, not against it" moments.  It measured 3m long, with batik elements that reversed at 1.5m.  Since the pattern wasn't running width wise, it didn't appear to be a sarong; It seemed like it was made to be folded over and used as a caftan.  And since I measure exactly 1.5m from shoulder to floor, there was no arguing with this batik.  Become a caftan it must.
It had this sticker on it:

I understood the Irian Jaya part, but the rest was a mystery to me.  I wonder if there is anyone out there who could translate it for me?  Oh, yeah....there is!  Novita was nice enough to answer me and translate this as "original product of Irian Jaya people/youth".  Thanks Novita!  Now it's just a mystery how this turned up at the Boulevard des Sources Village des Valeurs....

Now here comes the hard part; see if you can stay with me:  I put my Good Morning Starshine Tunic on top and pinned around the sleeves and bodice, extending down to the little white bonhomme second from the bottom.  Then I sewed along that pin line. 

I cut a wide neck hole and bound it with premade bias tape.  Then I tried it on.  Whew.  I'm exhausted just writing about it.  I'd better sit down and have a hot drink.




9 comments:

  1. YOU ARE FABULOUS.

    but... does it have pockets?

    step it up, scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Oona: glass houses Oona, glass houses. Who posted a scarf dress with one seam and NO POCKETS today, hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Also, those photos are very cool. I think I may have to make a Jodi Foster dress next spring! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I've never seen this type of fabric before, the pattern is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just a riot. Too funny. Despite the bad reputation of caftans, I think it looks pretty fashionable. But I am biased with my love for the 70s. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I ever find a circular lace tablecloth, I'm afraid I may be tempted to make a Jodi Foster dress too! Now THERE'S a look that's hard to carry off...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder my mom used to make a lot of caftans in the 60's. They sound really simple! I would probably look like Mrs. roper in one.That fabric was designed for making caftans probably ? Anyway, i am always finding famous actresses on vintage pattern envelopes too! I recently found Brooke Shields on a couple.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...