Friday 7 October 2011

Help! Some expert advice needed

When we were having lunch at El Centro during the NYC meetup last week, we started talking about sewing hits and misses.  I confessed that I still feel like too much of a beginning sewist to cut into my precious shwe shwe from Cape Town, so it sits unused in a storage box.  I realized how ridiculous this is, because even if I did completely botch it up, I'm going to be back in South Africa and Botswana in February and can always get more for a few $$$.  

     Full of renewed enthusiasm (and new patterns), I pulled out this Butterick 3509, AKA Rita Thomas.  A nice simple pattern like this would work well with the very complicated print of the shwe shwe.  I don't know who brought this pattern at the meet-up, but my money is on Marina.  She brought loads of great vintage patterns. 



Shwe shwe is printed on the reverse as well: 

So I cut, remembering to try to match the print.  There wasn't quite enough yardage to match exactly, but take my word for it, it's pretty damn close.  As you can see in the first close-up above, there are 8 elements that repeat, and I just about went blind last night trying to figure out which element went where.  Then I lay out the pieces to get an idea of how it will look.....

.....when I realized I could switch the side panels to show off the reverse print.  I've seen this many times in S.Africa, but I'm not sure which option looks best.  Also, to be frank, would I look ridiculous in a skirt that said, "Designed for African Women"?!!!?

So this is where I need an objective eye:  I like the idea of alternating panels because it looks more authentic to my eye, but I think that the matching panels would look better on me... less costumey.  

What you do think?


14 comments:

  1. I agree. Less costumey would be better. What about a line of piping between each panel? The side panels would really pop! Baste some and let's have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do it with the contrasting panels, but I do tend towards the theatrical (and I love colour-blocking and hate when interesting seam-lines just vanish into a print). Either way it'll be stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One vote for, one against. Hmmmm....

    I just checked my box of notions and I have exactly enough white piping to do the two front seams. And now that I look at the photos, the cameo with the faces isn't intact because of the way I cut it to match prints on the other side. I guess that clinches it!

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you are already sewing, but I'm going to throw in a vote for the contrast panels even though I am far from being an expert. I think the skirt looks great that way. I also that since that layout showcases the seaming, it will be slimming, not that you have to worry about that. I wouldn't worry about the face placement; I think it looks fine. Either way, it's going to look great, and I think it's awesome that you cut into some treasured fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! my comment won't help because I'm just going to even out it again :) I would vote for matching panels. But can I first say how AMAZING this fabric is? So wonderful!!! And perfect for the pattern! Either way, it will look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deadlock! I actually have two other pieces of shwe shwe with interesting reverse print (look back at my original post from CTown), so I think I will make this one with matching panels and make something else with reversed. I'll just make sure to place the pattern pieces more carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in case you haven't decided I vote matching panels! I think the skirt will be much more versatile and you'll get a lot of wear out of it. That fabric is ah.may.zing and I think it will be beautiful whatever you choose! Can't wait to see the finished product and good on you for being brave and cutting in. Go girl go! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm way late, but I also vote on the matching panels, especially if you have another print that you can reverse on a different skirt. But also, I think that either way would look great. Ever helpful, me. ;) Looking forward to seeing the finished product, whichever way you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, i was going to vote for contrast-- but i see that you have conquered your fear of The Fabric. i hope you're twirling in your matching shwe, and busily cutting out your contrast shwe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I didn't think this would divide the sewing world so much! ;)
    I'll finish it and post a photo of the final verdict after the long weekend is over, since the combination of a three-day weekend and 7 people at my house for Thanksgiving feast means no sewing time for Mama, only eating and drinking. I may have to adjust the waist.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was my pattern and i think your plan for it is brilliant! dividing the panels would be fun and unusual. can't wait to see the result!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Devra - Thanks for letting me know that you dropped the pattern; I can't imagine that it was your size, since you seem a lot smaller than those measurements! It fits me perfectly and I think it will be a TNT skirt pattern for me, so I may have to make a copy on sturdy paper. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You may already be sewing but I just have to say that I too like the look of the contrast panels. That fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you sew your next skirt so it's reversible! I love this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...