Friday 2 January 2015

Some garments that I love but Mr. A.S.S. doesn't

I don't have a DSLR, and I usually end up taking photos on my phone or on my son's point-and-shoot camera.  I know there has been a lot of talk around the blogosphere about quality blog photography, lighting, layout, etc. but I figure that you'd all rather see a few poor quality photos than nothing from me for another few months, right?  

First up are my crazy pants.  Yup, they've been dubbed crazy pants by my 5-year-old, who keeps telling me to take them off.



You can tell from my expression how many fecks I give.






They give me a delightfully flat Mom Butt, but the rayon challis is soft and warm, the fit is pyjama-esque, and the print is awesomely '70s.  Who cares what anyone else thinks?


The pattern is see&sew 4810, but frankly, this is like any other pyjama or elastic-waisted pull-on trousers, of which I probably have 10 or more patterns.  I have no idea where I got this pattern, but I'm assuming I bought it when it was new (1996).  And I was drunk and/or pre-menstrual.

Next up is my pleated mystery fabric skirt.  My daughter snapped this photo of my Mom and I while we did some boxing day shopping at Ikea.  It's blurry, but it's quite a nice photo of the two of us I think!




I picked up this soft, peach skin surfaced twill in the remaindered section of Fabricville.  You know that section, where everything is labelled 100% unknown fibres and costs $3-5/metre.  I LOVED the graphic print: kinda folklore, kinda graffiti, kinda Haring.



I didn't use a pattern, but just made a wide waistband with 2" ease, then used the full width of the fabric from selvedge to selvedge for the skirt so I wouldn't waste any of the border print.  I tried gathering it to the waistband, but it was just waaaaaay too bulky.  I pleated instead by marking the centre front, side seams and back seams, then dividing each section in half repeatedly and pinning down the pleats.  It took quite a while, so there were multiple G&Ts and the Downton Abbey Christmas special involved.


Centered zip, serged seam, and scant hem turned over once and top stitched.


And of course it has huge pocketses.  Every skirt needs huge pocketses, especially when you are constantly being handed things of varying levels of stickiness by offspring.  

I'm heading into a new, quite demanding job this winter, so I expect not to make or blog anything for the next few months.  Don't worry, I'll be back in the spring.  After all, I have this beauty of a fabric to use, and it may pop up on a couple more blogs in the near future…..keep your eyes open!



30 comments:

  1. Your trousers rock. They look so comfy. I love your border print. Good luck with the new job. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The trousers were an impulse make, but the skirt has been sitting half-done for a full year. About time to wrap things up….

      Delete
  2. I love the crazy pants too, I have such a yen for rich paisleys! Great mkes, it's lovely to hear from you and enjoy your new job, see you after! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to buy that fabric. It reminded me of so many prints from my '70s childhood, and then when my mother saw it, she exclaimed that she had made herself a maternity outfit using almost that exact print (but in polyester double knit - yikes).

      Delete
  3. Both great pieces! I want the pants... Good luck with your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. was horrified when I came home from shopping one afternoon wearing them - I had assured him that they wouldn't leave the house. Meh. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Vicky!!
    I loved both of your garments! :)
    I surely love seeing these pictures than nothing at all!!
    BTW, I didn't get that job that I interviewd for... I'll let you know more about that once we meet for coffee or something...
    Good luck with the workload to come and happy new year!!
    Bissous!!
    Mon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I was wondering what had happened after that interview. Too bad.

      I'm sure I'll survive teaching, but will the students???

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow, that pleated skirt!!! The fabric is KILLER and that shape looks awesome on you! I bet you were the best-dressed person in IKEA by a long shot!

    Good luck with the new job!!! Hopefully you'll be able to carve out enough time to make something ridiculous with your sparkly fabric! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon, this is Montreal. I'm never the best dressed person anywhere! heheh

      Delete
  6. Wait, who doesn't love that skirt!!?! Cmon Mr. A.S.S.!!! It's AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. would like me to explain that he *does* in fact like the skirt. The trousers, however….;)

      Delete
  7. I love that skirt. That fabric print is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? And because it's all made from rectangles, I only have the tiniest scrap left.

      Delete
  8. Great skirt. And in complete agreement that every skirt....and dress....and coat...need pocketses for sticky crumb-y treasures☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and then laundry is a treasure hunt. You should see the things I find in a little boy's and little girl's pockets.

      Delete
  9. Love both your recent makes. They are quintessentially 'you' and you can totally carry them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that we can now identify our blog friends' fabric styles - I know that when I go shopping with friends, we always end up pulling bolts for each other, stating "This is you. Buy it."

      Delete
  10. Love the skirt. I think the print is really cool! I know what you mean about that area in Fabricville where everthing is "unknown fibers". I find it kind of silly, since most of the time, they know exactly what it is and it was in the front of the store just a few months previous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know! I go to the west island Fabricville, and there is one woman there who is really knowledgeable about fabric, and she can usually identify anything for me (Rachel? Reytah?). We had a long conversation about that rayon challis I used for the crazy pants; she was lamenting the fact that it's so hard to find, but such a great fabric.

      Delete
  11. I totally get the pants, they are SO YOU and probably so comfy that indeed, who cares?! I have a similar pair of pants, they are pink flannel with a bright pink squirrel print. The real gem is that skirt, I LOVE that print!
    Congrats on the new job! You'll be awesome, and if your class isn't paying the proper amount of attention to you you can always wear the challis pants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that fabric was remaindered - some people have no taste!

      Yes, I think I'll wear all my craziest makes to each class, and then at least I'll be remembered for my loud colours and prints, if not my teaching skills ;)

      Delete
  12. I have bought some serious tragedies while premenstrual. It's the only time I take plaid and myself seriously. Why can't men understand that we like comfortable too? I have some clown pants that I just love and he makes a face like Mr Ed when I wear them!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are things he wears that you don't love too, right? It's the trade-offs of marriage.

      Delete
  13. Once I put a step in my house I'm like wonder woman, I change clothes in a blink of an eye, it is a must for me to wear sweat pants or pj's when at home. We deserve to be comfy! and in winter, a pair of boots and a coat over will do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your crazy pants (and your 'all the fecks I give' expression to match)! Those look ridiculously comfortable too.

    The skirt is just plain awesome. :)

    Good luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather - I had a stranger stop and ask me about the skirt, so that's the litmus test for a garment, isn't it?

      Delete
  15. I love pjs in the winter as soon as I get home from work. In the summer it is shift dresses and a warm cardigan since the house is kept at sub-zero temperatures

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pjs in the winter as soon as I get home from work. In the summer it is shift dresses and a warm cardigan since the house is kept at sub-zero temperatures

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...