Saturday 21 December 2013

Top 5 of 2013: Hits


The end of the year always engenders a little look-back post.  This year I got encouragement from Gillian's Top 5 lists roundup, because G-D knows I wouldn't have thought to do this in time if someone hadn't reminded me.  




Let's just say that between working full time (with the goal of discovering some fantastic drug lead before the funding runs out in March), taking care of two kids alone during the week, and finding enough time to keep up minimum hygiene standards around the house, there hasn't been enough time for sewing related things.  I was kicking myself a bit about that, but then I tried to think of any full-time working single moms who sew and blog, and I came up blank.  If there are, I don't know how they do it.  I'm only alone 4.5/7 days per week, but it's enough to knock me flat once the weekend rolls around and Mr. A.S.S. is back home!

Where was I before I got off on that rant?  Oh yeah, Top 5s.  Here is the first of the lists, with more to follow as soon as I can find the photos on my old computer.


Top 5 Hits: Favourite Creations, most worn or most loved:  This is going to include projects from 2010-2013 because I haven't made that many things this year.  And because this is the first year I'm participating in Gillian's Top 5.  And because my blog = my rules ;)



1.  Red leggings.  I made these in April as part of Tempest's Bowie Sewalong.  I didn't think they would be a wardrobe staple, but I wear them almost every week in cold weather!  I didn't get them posted in time to be included in the sewalong, but I added my photos to the flickr group anyway.  Badass.  

2.  Thigh high slit skirt:  The Sew Weekly reunion in August was such a great way to get the band back together!  I hope that we do it again, perhaps using the Pantone colours, although I must admit that radiant orchid is not a favourite of mine.  


3.  Good Morning Starshine tunic:  I made this in 2011 and I think it is the me-made thing that has been worn the most in 2013.  It's good in summer as a dress; it's good in winter over leggings, it's good for the beach over a swimsuit.  I will definitely make another.  Oh wait, I already have.  OK, I'm make yet another. 


4.  Dr. Who littlest circle skirt:  Again with the Tempest sewalongs!  Inspired/bullied by Whovians like Tempest, Rachel and Meg, I started watching the 2005 reboot and decided to jump into the sewalong.  I'm not a cosplayer, so I wanted to make something practical.  I made this little linen circle skirt for my daughter, and she has worn it every week since.  

5.  And finally, the very best thing I've made this year hasn't yet been made - know what I mean?  It's that fantasy project that I always have in the back of my head, but never quite get around to making.  It's that avant-guard, complicated, perfectly fitting, ooh-and-ahhh-inspiring garment that is always just out of reach.  It's that project that I think about when my mind wanders during a boring meeting, or on a long bus ride when I'm trying to block out the world.  Ah yes, the fantasy project.  That's what I'm going to make next, and it will be fabulous.  

12 comments:

  1. I"m in complete awe of anyone that blogs while raising kids, let alone by themselves most of the time! I'm glad you are joining in the Top 5 fun, and bending the rules to work for you! I"m also feeling totally justified for buying fabric for red leggings this afternoon because yours are so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a few pairs and the biggest lesson I've learned is to check the % stretch before adding seam allowance. Seems obvious, but when I get the urge late at night to cut and sew a pair, and they turn out to only have 1% stretch, they aren't very comfortable in the morning! I wish I had some green jersey to sew up a pair for #GreenDecember

      Delete
  2. You go girl!--Raising two children, most of the time alone, sewing and housecleaning and working full time--whew! Getting any sewing done is a great accomplishment. I love the teal top and thigh high skirt. Like you, not sure of the Radiant Orchid as good color-always like green and teals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I'd love to have time to do more of again, but I know that this is a temporary situation, and I'll get more time for myself again soon. Hopefully ;)

      Delete
  3. I've been under a rock & didn't know about Radiant Orchid, thanks for the link! I like it, though this years can't be topped in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan, but I'm sure that after looking at it for a year, I'll change my mind. I felt the same way about Tom Hiddleston (I know I'm going to get backlash for that one!!)

      Delete
  4. I know the challenges of working with kids, sewing, blogging, housework and being a scientist! I think your Sew Weekly Reunion piece was a better color combo than mine! Good luck in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another another sewing scientist! I'll add you to the blog roll

      Delete
  5. I giggled at "minimum hygiene standards" because I know exactly what you mean. And I'm not alone all week, so I can't imagine. I actually feel like I'm getting a little bit of a rhythm going now and I could spare a half hour to sew every so often. But I'm just so damn tired that I'd rather vegetate. I love that thigh high slit skirt. So elegant. Here's to more sewing time and energy in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've caved and hired a cleaning service once a week. It's expensive, but it's worth not worrying and arguing about it anymore. And believe me, you'll get into a routine once the naptimes settle down to one long afternoon stretch; then you get 2 hrs alone!

      Delete
  6. What a great list of favourite garments from this past year! And I get your rant - I don't work full time on top of mothering, but I am a married single parent 6/7 days every week. Don't let's beat ourselves up, but just do what we can and not sweat the rest. Cheers to a new sewing year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tia! Well, a family emergency has already taken Mr. A.S.S. to the other side of the country for ~2 weeks, so not much has gotten done in that time except keep us all warm, fed and alive! ;) Maybe I'll take a few vacation days in February....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...