I'm sure you know by now the story of the extremely casual sew along between Tanit-Isis, Nettie and I. We discovered that we had all gotten the same pattern around the same time, and we were wondering how the same pattern would look on three different bodies, in three different fabrics. Take a look here and here for their beauties.
Of course I was the last to finish, and after seeing T's gorgeous full length gold gown and N's perfectly fitted wool jumper, I was all the more squeamish to show off this quilting cotton quickie. Well, to be honest, it wasn't a quickie because as it turned out, THE PATTERN WAS MISSING THE INSTRUCTIONS! I'm sure I saw them at one point, but a thorough clean up of my sewing area didn't turn up the missing sheet, so I may have imagined it.
It was pretty easy to put together even without the instructions, although I did go through my usual litany of alterations: add 4cm to middle back, lower the bust darts 1.5cm,add 5cm for the hips, shorten hem by 10cm. All that added up to a pretty good fit, except that I forgot to raise the armscye, which resulted in this:
Off came the sleeve and out came the bias binding, and a sleeveless shift was born. I've been making more than my fair share of this shape in 2012, so my aim for 2013 is to branch out a little and try some new silhouettes.
I am pretty happy with the placement of those unusual bust darts / underbust seaming combo.
I even like my weirdo huge exposed separating zipper - it was the only red zip I had in my stash and I thought what the hell.
You may be able to see where I had fisheye darts in the back that I picked out. I didn't like the placement, but now that I see photos of my rear, I can see that I need some kind of shaping back there. To be addressed very soon.
And a post wouldn't be complete without my usual outtakes.